To make your storage experience as enjoyable and successful as possible, here are my top recommendations:
- Always clean and thoroughly dry appliances before storing. (Placing a receptacle of salt inside freezers and refrigerators will help absorb moisture).
- Always pack books flat in small boxes for easy lifting.
- Always pack mirrors on edge, not flat. Protect them by packing individually with strong cardboard.
- Always use plenty of packing paper for china and glasses. Each item should be wrapped individually.
- Always protect upholstered furniture and mattresses with specially designed plastic covers or sheets and blankets. Place a pallet, cardboard mat or plastic sheet underneath.
- When storing wood furniture, place a receptacle of water in unit to add moisture.
- To maximize storage space use uniform size boxes.
- Store heaviest boxes on bottom. All boxes should be full before stacking.
- Leave air space around units perimeter to aid in ventilation. For ease of locating items leave a walkway to the rear of space. Store frequently used items up front.
- Cover all your stored possessions with a plastic sheet. (Allow for ventilation when using plastic covers).
- Always put an insect and rodent control in your unit.
I hope they’re helpful! What are your favorites?